The Box Plus Network – Website and app privacy notice
This privacy notice was last updated on: 25 May 2018
- Our commitment to your privacy
- We are The Box Plus Network Limited (Box Plus, we, us, our) and we are a company registered in England with company number 02643552 and registered office at 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX.
- We are registered as a controller with the Information Commissioner in the United Kingdom with registration number Z243311X. This registration covers the uses of personal information set out in this privacy notice.
- We are committed to protecting your privacy and security. We may ask you to supply personal information in order for us to provide you with our services (such as access to our application). This privacy notice explains what information we collect about you, how we use it, and the steps we take to ensure that it is kept secure. It also explains your rights and how to contact us if you have any queries or complaints.
- We will keep this privacy notice up to date and you can find the date it was last updated at the top of the page. If there are any changes to the way in which your personal information is used, we will update this privacy notice and notify you of the changes by email.
- What is personal information?
- Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. This includes information such as your name, contact details, phone number or date of birth.
- What personal information do we collect and where from?
- We collect information that you voluntarily provide to us when you contact us with queries, complaints, comments or praise, or information that you voluntarily post about yourself on the public areas of our platform such as our bulletin board.
- We collect information about how you use our services (whether online or via our application) using cookies and similar technology. This includes your viewing history, IP addresses, device identifiers and information about how long you have stayed on certain pages or what pages you have clicked on. You can find more detailed information about this in our Cookie Agreement https://www.boxplus.com/cookie-agreement/ . We also log and use information about any service errors or interruptions that you have experienced in order to help us create fixes and to make technical improvements to our services.
- We collect information about you when you participate in competitions, such as your contact information. This information is only used for the purposes of the relevant competition and will be subject to the terms and conditions of that competition, which will be notified to you when you enter the competition.
- What do we do with your personal information?
- It is important that you understand how and why we use the personal information that we collect about you. This section sets out the different purposes for which we process your personal information and which types of information we need for each purpose.
- Providing you with our services
- We use your personal information to enable us to respond to queries, complaints or comments that you have and to make sure that these are appropriately dealt with.
- We use your personal information for the purposes of allowing you to participate in competitions and to carry out any activities required in relation to those competitions, for example contacting you to let you know you have won a prize and using your address to send your prize to you. Please note that this may also involve sharing your personal information with the promoters of any competitions. Where this is the case, we will let you know at the point of entering into the competition.
- Improving our services
- We use your personal information to help us monitor, analyse and improve our services. We use this information to help us understand which content and services are most interesting and enjoyable for our users and to help us identify errors and test features. This helps us to make sure that we are providing you with the best possible products and services.
- Even if you opt out of all marketing, we will still display advertisements on our website and application. These advertisements will not be in any way personalised or targeted to you. They will be standard advertisements that will be served to every user.
- Our advertisements are served by third party providers, for example, we use an advertising agency and an advertising exchange to purchase and serve advertising space. We need to ensure that the advertisements are suitable for each territory in which you are viewing them. For example, there may be some location specific advertisements that we cannot show all of our users. In order to assist with this, your IP address and device ID are shared by the advertising agency and the advertising exchange who ensure that the content you see is relevant to your territory.
- How we use anonymised information
- We use aggregated and anonymised information for certain purposes, such as to help us understand what type of content users like and to share with advertisers so that they know how effective their advertising is. When used for these purposes, this information does not enable you or any other individual user to be identified.
- What is our legal basis for using your personal information?
- Data protection law says that we have to tell you the legal basis that we rely on to process your personal information for the purposes that we have notified to you. This section tells you what that legal basis is in relation to each of the purposes set out above.
- With the exception of marketing and competitions, we process your personal information for all of the purposes identified under section 4 https://gdpr-info.eu/art-4-gdpr/ on the basis that it is in our legitimate interests, or the legitimate interests of third parties with whom we share your personal information, to carry out these activities. Further information about what those interests are is set out below:
|Running your account and providing you with our services||To ensure that our users enjoy the best experience possible, to help us deliver our content through our website and our app and to lead to increased viewing.|
|Improving our services||To make sure that we continue to improve our service and provide our users with the best and most effective service possible.
|Advertising||To provide advertising that is relevant so that you have the best experience possible of using our services or third party broadcasters’ platforms and use your information to serve generic advertisements within our app to keep it free for users.|
- In respect of marketing and competitions, we act on the basis that we have your consent to do so. You can withdraw your consent at any time by following the instructions to “unsubscribe” in any marketing communications we send to you or by contacting us.
- Who do we share your personal information with?
- Subject to the details set out below, we will not pass on your personal information to any third party without your consent. We may provide aggregate statistics about our users, traffic patterns and related site information to our third-party partners (if any), but these statistics will not contain any information about you from which you could be identified.
- We share your personal information with third parties in some circumstances. This includes where we use third party suppliers to perform various services for us. The third party suppliers we share your personal information with are as follows:
- other service providers such as information security service providers who help us to manage our IT systems and ensure that they are secure;
- third party marketing and advertising agencies to ensure our marketing and advertising is delivered effectively in accordance with this privacy notice (as detailed in section 4.5.3).
- where you have specifically consented to us sharing your personal information with a particular third party; and
- where we are required or permitted to do so by law or to protect or enforce our rights or the rights of any third party
- You should also be aware that any information you provide to us via social media is controlled by the relevant social media platform. We recommend that you read the relevant social media platform’s privacy notice and contact them directly if you have any concerns regarding their use of your personal information.
- If you post any personal information to any bulletin boards or forums, this information will immediately be made available to other users throughout the world.
- We may transfer your personal information to purchasers or subsidiaries (and potential purchasers or subsidiaries) if we acquire, or are acquired by or merge with, another company. This will enable you, for example, to continue your relationship with us despite a change of ownership. Where this is the case, we will notify you in advance and provide you with all of the information you need to know and how the change will impact you (if at all).
- What rights do you have?
- You have a number of rights under data protection law. These rights and how you can exercise them are set out in this section. In each instance, we ask you to make your request in writing to the contact address in section 9 https://www.boxplus.com/contact-us/ and provide verification of your identity.
- We will respond to any requests to exercise your rights as soon as we can and in any event within one month of receiving your request and any necessary proof of identity or further information. If your request is particularly difficult or complex, or if you have made a large volume of requests, we may take up to three months to respond. If this is the case, we will let you know as soon as we can and explain why we need to take longer to respond.
- A right to access your information
- You can access your personal information through your account settings.
- You also have a right to ask us to send you a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. A request to exercise this right is called a “data subject access request” and must be made in writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to: Data Expert, The Box Plus Network Limited, Francis House, 11 Francis Street, London, SW1P 1DE
- A right to object to us processing your information
- You have a right to object to us processing any personal information that we process where we are relying on legitimate interests as the legal basis of our processing.
- If we have compelling legitimate grounds to carry on processing your personal information, we will be able to continue to do so. Otherwise, we will cease processing your personal information.
- A right to have inaccurate information corrected
- You can ask us to correct inaccurate information that we hold about you. If we are satisfied that the new information you have provided is accurate, we will correct it on our systems as soon as possible.
- A right to have your personal information erased
- You can ask us to delete your personal information in certain circumstances, for example if we have processed your personal information unlawfully or if we no longer need it for the purposes set out in this privacy notice.
- We will fully anonymise any personal information we hold about you This means that it will no longer identify you and ceases to be “personal information”.
- A right to have processing of your personal information restricted
- You can ask us to restrict processing of your personal information in some circumstances, for example if you think the personal information is inaccurate and we need to verify its accuracy, or if we no longer need the information but you require us to keep it so that you can exercise your own legal rights.
- Restricting your personal information means that we only store your personal information and don’t carry out any further processing on it unless you consent or we need to process the information to exercise a legal claim or to protect a third party or the public.
- How to contact us or raise a complaint
- If you have any queries about this privacy notice or how we handle or protect your personal information, please do not hesitate to contact us:
The Box Plus Network
11 Francis Street
0207 306 8080
- If you have any complaints about the way we use your personal information please contact email@example.com who will assist in resolving the issue. If we cannot resolve your complaint or you are unhappy with how we have processed your personal information, you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Officer, who regulates data protection compliance in the UK. You can find out how to do this by visiting ico.org.uk.